Effective Date: March 1, 2013.
Welcome to RateYourBurn!
RYB is a platform for connecting communities interested in physical fitness. RYB brings together gyms, trainers, instructors and clients. RYB empowers users to review their fitness experiences, rewarding excellent instruction with positive feedback and providing constructive criticism to the not-so-excellent. The average class rating will be rolled up under each gym/studio to an average instruction score, rewarding gyms who employ quality teachers.
Notice of Information We Collect And How We Use It
We collect and store information, including personally-identifiable information (“Personal Information”), that you voluntarily supplied to us when registering or when using the Services. Some such information is required in order for you to register as a user of our Services. You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but by doing so, you may not be able to take advantage of many of our features and functionality. We use Personal Information to deliver the Services to you, to improve the delivery of our Services, including advertising, and to develop analytics and aggregated data that allow us to improve our Services.
We also collect and store non-personally identifiable information that is automatically generated when you use the Services. We use “cookies” on our Services. A cookie is a piece of alphanumeric data stored on a visitor’s hard drive to help us improve your access to our Website and identify repeat visitors to our Services. Cookies enable us to customize and enhance the user experience on our Services. We use the resulting non-personally identifiable information, such as your browser version, IP address, referring domains, pages visited, your mobile carrier, device and application IDs, the nature of your use of the Website and cookie information, to improve our Website delivery, including advertising, and to develop analytics and aggregated data that allow us and our partners to utilize our Website and reach out to you via our Website. If you wish to restrict or block the cookies which are set by RYB, or by any other website, you can do this through your browser settings. The Help function within your browser should tell you how. For information on how to delete cookies on the browser of your mobile phone as applicable you will need to refer to your handset manual.
The Website contains both proprietary content of RYB (“Content”) as well as user-contributed materials (“Contributions”). The materials appearing on the Website and/or available through the Services, including but not limited to the Content and/or the Contributions may include technical, typographical, or photographic errors. RYB does not warrant that any such materials are accurate, complete, or current. RYB may make changes to these materials at any time without notice, but does not warrant or represent any obligation to do so.
We also collect Reviews from users. Those Reviews may be broadly disseminated by the Services and its users, and are not subject to any limitations on use or disclosure.
In general, our collection and use of information is as follows:
- RYB collects Personal Information you knowingly choose to submit to us during registration, such as your name, and email address.
- RYB collects information that you choose to supply to us from time to time in connection with our Services, which may include personal information regarding third parties.
- RYB uses Personal Information for the following general purposes: identification and authentication of a user, improvement to the Services, contact, research, and reporting of aggregated, anonymous data.
- RYB automatically receives and records information on our server logs from your browser, including your IP address, cookies, and the pages you request. IP addresses are automatically reported by your browser each time you view a web page. Your IP address is stored by RYB when you register with RYB. IP addresses may be used for various research purposes, and/or delivering unique functionality to our service.
- RYB may make discussion boards, forums and chat rooms (Public Areas) available to you. You participate in these Public Areas with the acknowledgement that any information you share will be available to other users, including any Personal Information that you share in Public Areas. You may post Contributions on the Service at your own risk. We cannot control the actions of other users with whom you choose to share your information. Even after removal, copies of Contributions may remain viewable in cached and archived pages or if other users have copied or stored your Contributions.
Information We Collect To Respond To Your Choices and Requests
- We may combine the information you submit under your account with information from other services or third parties in order to provide you with a better experience and to improve the quality of our Services. For certain services, we may give you the opportunity to opt out of combining such information.
- Upon registering on our Website, a user profile will automatically be created for you. You may select a user name and profile photo to display with your profile information. Any information you choose to display on your profile may be viewed by other users when you post in Public Areas.
Surveys or Contests
- We may provide you the opportunity to participate in contests or surveys on our Services. If you participate, we will request certain Personal Information from you. The requested information typically includes contact information (such as name and mailing address) and demographic information.
- We use this information to notify contest winners and award prizes, to monitor site traffic, or to personalize our Services (in the case of anonymous information collected in surveys).
- If you choose to use our referral service (if available) to tell a friend about our Services, we will ask you for your friend’s name and email address. We will automatically send your friend a one-time email inviting him or her to visit our Website. RYB uses this information for the sole purpose of sending this one-time email and tracking the success of our referral program. Your friend may contact us at support@Rateyourburn.com to request that we remove this information from our database.
Posting in Public Areas
- When we use the phrase "public information", we mean the information you choose to disclose to other users of the Website, as well as information that is publicly available. By posting information in a Public Area, you are choosing to make your information public.
- Choosing to make your information public also means that this information: can be associated with you (i.e., your name, profile picture, profile, username, etc.); can show up when someone does a search on RYB; and when others share information about you, they can also choose to make it public.
Communication from Us or our Services
- When you send email or other communications to RYB, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve our Services. When you send and receive messages we may collect and maintain information associated with those messages.
- We will occasionally send you information on products, services, special deals, and promotions. You can sign up for these emails from us on our registration page.
- Out of respect for your privacy, we present the option not to receive these types of communications. Please see the “Choice and Opt-out” section below.
- If you wish to subscribe to our newsletter(s), we will use your name and email address to send the newsletter to you. Out of respect for your privacy, we provide you a way to unsubscribe. Please see the “Choice and Opt-out” section below.
- Service-Related Announcements
- We will send you strictly service-related announcements on rare occasions when it is necessary to do so. For instance, if our Service is temporarily suspended for maintenance, we might send you an email.
- Generally, you may not opt-out of these communications, which are not promotional in nature. If you do not wish to receive them, you have the option to deactivate your account.
Based upon the Personal Information you provide us, we will send you a welcoming email to verify your username and password. We will communicate with you in response to your inquiries, to provide the services you request, and to manage your account. We will communicate with you by email or telephone, in accordance with your wishes. You may contact customer service at support@Rateyourburn.com.
We store information that we collect through cookies, log files, clear gifs, to create a “profile” of your preferences. We use this profile in order to provide tailored promotions and marketing offers and to improve the content of the Services for you.
We do not share your profile with other third parties other than when you login using a Third Party Social Networking Account, in which case we may share your profile information with the third party social network service provider.
ID and Address Verification
We may use a third party to verify your identity and address for mailing purposes.
Conditions Under Which We Share Information
Aggregate Information (Non-Personally Identifiable)
We may share aggregated demographic information about our user base with our partners. This information does not identify individual users. We do not link aggregate user data with personally identifiable information. We may use and publicize aggregate information on any basis that does not identify you, without your consent.
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your Personal Information without your consent. However we may share your Personal Information in situations described below:
- We share aggregated demographic information about our user base with our partners. This information does not identify individual users.
- We may release your Personal Information to authorized agents who are employed by us to perform tasks on our behalf and need to share information with them to provide products and services to you. Unless we communicate with you differently, our authorized agents do not have the right to use any Personal Information we share with them beyond what is necessary to work with us. You hereby consent to our sharing your Personal Information for the above purposes.
- Some Personal Information, such as users’ names, and location that is listed in your user profile or derived from IP Addresses may be publicly visible to other users on the Website or to the web. We may implement a feature that permits you to choose what information is made public by changing your privacy setting in “Edit My Profile” on the Website.
- Except as described above, we may release your Personal Information to third parties with your consent. You will be notified when your Personal Information may be shared with consent, and you will have the ability to prevent us from sharing this information in this manner.
- We may also provide non-personally identifiable information, or aggregated information that does not personally identify you, to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
Third Party Social Network Sites
By connecting to our Services with a Third Party Social Networking Account, you authorize RYB and the third party social network service provider to share certain information about you with each other to enhance your use of each web site’s services. You can stop or start sharing of your information through the Services with third party social network service providers by using the privacy settings under the Account page. You can also avoid sharing your Personal Information with third party social networks by not using your Third Party Social Networking Account to login to the Services.
We reserve the right to disclose your Personal Information as required by law and when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights; to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process served on us or the Website; or in connection with an actual or proposed corporate transaction or insolvency proceeding involving all or part of the business or asset to which the information pertains.
Choice and Opt-out
If you no longer wish to receive our newsletter and promotional communications, you may opt-out of receiving them by following the instructions included in each newsletter or communication or by emailing us at support@Rateyourburn.com.
California Residents - Your California Privacy Rights
In California, you have the right to request a list of third parties to whom we have disclosed your Personal Information for their direct marketing purposes during the preceding year, pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1798.83. To make such a request, please send an email to email@example.com or write to us at: 71 Fulkerson St. #108, Cambridge, MA 02141. We are only required to respond to one request per customer each year.
Access to or Changing Your Information
If your Personal Information changes, or if you no longer desire to use our Service, you may update it by making the change on your account page or by emailing our Customer Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please keep in mind that whenever you voluntarily make your Personal Information or other private information available for viewing by third parties online – for example on blogs, discussion forums, or other community posting or social networking websites – that information can be seen, collected and used by others besides us. We cannot be responsible for any unauthorized third-party use of such information.
Third party links
Information You Post to Other Sites
Please keep in mind that whenever you voluntarily make your Personal Information or other private information available for viewing by third parties online - for example on blogs, discussion forums, or other community posting or social networking sites - that information can be seen, collected and used by others besides us. We cannot be responsible for any unauthorized third-party use of such information.
RYB is committed to protecting the security and privacy of your information stored by us. All data gathered on our Website is stored in a secure, password protected database. Only we and our hosting provider have access to this database. We will protect Personal Information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. While all standard security protections are implemented by us and our hosting providers, we cannot guarantee the physical or electronic security of the servers and databases on which this Website is hosted.
Our Website is not directed to people under 13 years of age. If you become aware that your child has provided us with Personal Information without your consent, please contact us at support@Rateyourburn.com. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 13. If we become aware that a child under 13 has provided us with Personal Information, we take steps to remove that information and terminate the applicable account.
- Your Consent
Copyright © 2013 RateYourBurn, Inc. All Rights Reserved.