Where: Equinox, 420 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY
Angel ain't no angel
“If you’re laughing tomorrow, you didn’t work hard enough” says Angel, to two girls/newbies as they laugh the second his Tabata class is over. They weren’t laughing in an oh-my-that-was-a-pleasant-experience way…it was an I-can’t-believe-I-survived-that laugh. You know what they say….if you don’t laugh, you’ll cry. That goes for Angel’s class!
[Click here to review Angel's class yourself, or check out his RateYourBurn profile here.]
Tabata is the name of a Japanese researcher who discovered that interval training produces better results than aerobic training. It consists of 20 seconds of intense work followed by 10 seconds of rest – repeated 7x…with a minute rest before starting the next sequence. Excellent for losing fat quickly!
- Tough-love style. If you want sympathy or a medal for working out, don’t look here.
- Pushes you to your edge: there is NO slacking off in his class. He walks around the room and coaxes you into a deeper squat, commands faster burpees and REQUIRES you to get your best workout possible.
- He’s HOT – very, very hot. Amazing body, beautiful face, masculine attitude.
- Personal Trainer and martial artist. He knows his shit.
- He will be my bride-to-be trainer. Am I engaged? No. But I am thinking about getting him to sign a contract committing to train me when that day comes... should he be a supercelebrity by then or something (these are the thoughts that go through my head).
- Devoted following of fit, young professionals.
- A lot of regulars.
- Lunchtime workout warriors (although I will say, this is not the type of class you can run back to work after. Full shower and getting re-ready is a must).
- Super packed – can barely jump rope without hitting someone else's rope, or person.
- Not for the faint of heart.
- Class starts with 4 minutes of jump rope to warm up.
- Then, the Tabata portion…20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest x 8 rounds = HELL.
- What does "HELL" consist of, you ask?! Let me tell you...squat presses to fast shoulder presses, kangaroo jumps to cross over pushups, weighted split squats to power pushups, surf jumps, frog jumps, Spiderman pushups, burpees, mountain climbers, up-down planks...
- Ohh wait and right in the middle is a 4 minute Tabata jump rope series…20 seconds of speed jumps, 10 secs normal pace. No big deal!
…it’s on and it’s fine – nothing spectacular. But honestly, you’re so concerned about catching your breath and not vomiting that he could be playing Pachelbel’s Canon in D. Although I will say “Smack my Bitch up" came on when we were doing surf jumps and I felt like a total badass (is it weird that that song pumps me up, and that I'm female…?)
All in All:
I did not laugh the next day. This class is no joke and will challenge you, help you shred fat and become a better athlete. And feel a little puke-y along the way. Angel is the perfect teacher for this class – it’s brutal and he does not allow for slack.
From the Equinox website: Angel Alicea, a New Jersey native, started his athletic career at the age of 7 with martial arts, which lead him to participate in basketball, baseball, football, wrestling, cross country running and collegiate division 1 track and field. He continues to hold two records in the Pentathlon for Seton Hall University. Angel believes there has to be a balance between the mental and the physical. "To be successful in anything, one must acquire motivation and attain education!"
Find out more about Equinox at www.equinox.com
Find Angel on facebook
Read more about Angel on New York Post on Examiner and GymSquirrel's class review