Swiss Chard, Kale's equally high-performing and under-recognized little brother, is our healthy food item of the week. Vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A, beta carotene, iron... this often-colorful leaf is chock-o-block with things that will keep your immune system healthy and prevent your bones from looking like swiss cheese (your bones aren't supposed to look like swiss cheese, you know...)
1. Autumn Chard Salad (above). "It’s as satisfying as the best of my kale salads and it comes with important lessons about trying new things and turning disappointments on their head."
2. Pickled Rainbow Chard. "I never thought pickles could be so pretty, and it gives me something to do with chard stems when I use the leaves for sautéing."
3. Vegetable Chard Wraps With Spicy Lime-Ginger Dipping Sauce. "If you are craving something crunchy and spicy but don't want to load up on some serious chip and salsa calories, try these refreshing, cooling chard wraps."
4. Sauteed Swiss Chard. "We include the stalks for a nice contrast in texture and color."
5. Slow Cooker Spicy Vegetarian Pinto Bean and Chard Burritos. "This is definitely one of those recipes that produces a very unphotogenic mixture when it comes out of the slow cooker, but if you like swiss chard and pinto beans, please don't let that keep you from making this."
6. Sautéed Scallops and Swiss Chard. "Greens, lemon and tarragon make refreshing counterpoints to scallops’ inherent richness. Spoon this creative and colorful dish over aromatic rice so it can soak up the delicious sauce. Toasted pecans lend appealing crunch."
7. Couscous With Swiss Chard, Raisins and Feta. Mouth = watering.
8. Swiss Chard and Kohlrabi With Lemon Sauce. "Gordon Ramsay combines these two under-used vegetables to create a wonderful steamed side dish."
9. Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas With Swiss Chard Pesto. "As is sometimes the case, these sweet potato and black bean quesadillas with swiss chard pesto turned out to be even better than the tacos that inspired them!"
10. Spicy Chard with Ginger." Enjoy this saute as a side, toss with pasta for a main course (it's great with Asian noodles), or serve on crostini."
11. Quinoa Salad With Blueberries, Strawberries and Watermelon. "Dinner in a flash."
12. Shirred Eggs Over Garlicky Swiss Chard. "[These eggs] are perfect for a brunch, or just a lazy Sunday breakfast for two."
13. Warm Chard Salad With Bacon Dressing and Roasted Chicken. "It’s an intensely green and leafy salad, a slightly intimidating pile of chard. But the tough blow of the chard is softened and smoothed by a generous dousing of warm bacon vinaigrette."
14. Fresh Swiss Chard Pasta. "I am considering just making my own [pasta] from here on out and not buying, it was just that easy and tasty!"
15. Swiss Chard Scramble. "For breakfast or dinner, Swiss chard with eggs all scrambled up."
16. Swiss Chard, Pear, and Comté Tart. "Have you ever been deliriously happy because something you made or tasted was just off-the-hook? Well, that’s how I felt about this tart!"
17. Garlic, Chard and Parmesan Bread. "We don’t buy bread anymore."
18. Sausage, Chard, and Lemon Lasagna. "A layer of refreshing lemon slices brightens every bite of this lasagna made of sweet Italian sausage and Swiss chard. Instead of tomato sauce, the dish is made with a creamy and cheesy white sauce."
19. Stuffed Swiss Chard. "The sushi-like rolls of our Stuffed Swiss Chard are filled with rice and grated vegetables and sprinkled with sesame-soy sauce."
20. Grilled Cheese Crepe with Chard and Dill. "A healthy and elegant appetizer with flavor straight out of the garden!"
Eat up! You should have a full-blown chard-on at this point.
You might also like:
Get more yummy, healthy recipes.