Personally, we think that the Cabbage Patch Dolls were the biggest PR fail the cabbage industry has ever experienced. When we think of the word "cabbage," the faces of obese dolls come to mind. And then came the fad of the cabbage soup diet, equally unhealthy. It's not fair. Cabbage has so much to offer! Not only is it a gorgeous vegetable, it's also chock full of vitamin K, vitamin C, folate, and sinigrin, a cabbage glucosinolate that has been very promising in cancer prevention research. Cabbage comes in a variety of colors, and each color brings its own list of health benefits. So...eat up!
1. Spicy Cabbage Slaw. "Sweet, spicy, and tangy, this easy slaw makes a delicious accompaniment to quesadillas and tacos."
2. Sautéed Red Cabbage With Raisins. "This easy recipe pairs well with sausage, but will also taste great alongside many weeknight mains."
3. Raw Kale, Cabbage, and Carrot Chopped Salad With Maple Sesame Vinaigrette. "A splendid salad! Healthy, appealingly colorful, and delicious."
4. Roasted Cabbage Slaw With Hazelnuts and Lemon. "Here's a warm one for fall, a slaw that will go well not only with your favorite pies, but with all manner of autumn meals. It's warm and roasted, with the sweet, smoky edge that a detour under the broiler brings to cabbage."
5. Cabbage Stew Recipe. It's a far cry from that infamous cabbage soup recipe.
6. Spicy Stir-Fried Cabbage. "This is a vegetarian version of a classic Chinese stir-fry."
7. Creamed Cabbage. "Green cabbage costs a fraction of what spinach does, and the leaves don't shrink down as much when cooked. The baked-in-cream version really tastes like a splurge."
8. Sweet-and-Sour Cabbage. The sweet comes from brown sugar and cider vinegar. The sour, from lemon juice. The deliciousness, all from the cabbage.
9. Grilled Cabbage Wedges With Spicy Lime Dressing. "Yes, roasted cabbage is really sublime. It mellows out the funky cabbage smell and taste and turns this somewhat aggressive vegetable into something mellow and sweet."
10. Slow Cooker Asian Cabbage Corn Soup. "Admittedly, it’s not a beautiful soup, but it more than makes up for it with a bold taste that has you thinking you are eating a much more complicated soup."
11. Meat-Stuffed Cabbage Cakes. "This would be good with brown rice or another whole grain on the side."
12. Napa Cabbage Spring Rolls. "Spring rolls are a great way to utilize fresh vegetables as they become available at the market."
13. Recipe for Roasted Cabbage With Lemon. "A perfect side dish!"
14. Peanut Noodles With Edamame. "Any combination of crunchy fresh vegetables works with these creamy, nutty noodles."
15. Lentil Fritter Pitas With Red Cabbage Slaw. "Love veggie burgers? For a change of pace, form the lentil mixture into 4 large patties, cook in oil until browned, and serve on buns with your desired toppings."
16. Tuscan Cabbage and Mushrooms. "Savoy cabbage, shiitake mushrooms, and leeks are braised together in this earthy Italian side dish."
17. Corned Beef and Cabbage. "Long, slow cooking tenderizes the brisket, which is the centerpiece of this hearty, one-dish meal."
18. Autumn Cabbage Slaw. "The slaw can be prepared and refrigerated, keeping the oranges separate, up to 2 days in advance."
19. Cabbage Slaw With Gala Apples and Walnuts. "A colorful, simple, and absolutely delicious slaw for any season."
Cabbage has a secret talent: being beautiful. Check out this amazing blog full of cabbage decorating ideas and breathtaking photos.
Happy cabbage-ing, and enjoy these healthy cabbage recipes!
You might also like:
Get more yummy, healthy recipes.