Coconut is an ingredient that some people shy away from due to its fat content—but while it might not be a fat-free ingredient, it's cholesterol-free, low in sodium, and a great source of iron, magnesium, and vitamin B6. Plus, it's delicious and an excellent substitute for milk and cream if you're lactose intolerant—but even if you're not, you won't be able to resist this great round-up of recipes.
1. Baked Coconut Shrimp With Tangelo Salsa (above, from eatingwell.com). "A sweet-and-sour tangelo salsa complements the toasty coconut crust on these sassy little coconut shrimp."
2. Curried Coconut Chicken With Squash and Dried Cherries (blessthismessplease.com). "One of the best curries on the block, from a true curry lover!"
3. Tutti Fruitti Chocolate Coconut Popsicles (familyfreshcooking.com). "It is a great way to munch on a few servings of fruit and if you add some yogurt, milk, or cream….you get a little bit of healthy fat and some protein too. You can keep things vegan with coconut, almond or soy milk."
4. Healthy Coconut Oatmeal (allrecipes.com). "A fast and healthy breakfast cereal or high-energy snack. Oatmeal made with coconut, raisins, cranberries, walnuts. Brown rice can be used in place of oatmeal."
5. Healthy Coconut Oil Mushroom Green Beans (foodlve.com). "Coconut Oil Mushroom Green Beans is a healthy recipe for a nutritious diet. Since the recipe is cooked in coconut oil, it has good health benefits for people of all the ages."
6. Quick Mushroom Ragout (thehealthyfoodie.com). "Hmpft! How is one supposed to make a mushroom ragout without adding tons of heavy cream and butter to the concoction? ...Go with the only creamy dairy alternative option that’s available...coconut cream!"
7. Berry and Yogurt Parfaits With Toasted Coconut (delish.com). "Skip the ice cream. Blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, and coconut make this yogurt parfait the perfect (and healthy!)...treat."
8. Thai Coconut Chicken Stir-Fry (taste.com.au). "TO DIE FOR!! Really easy and very similar to restaurant Thai, the only change I made was to add a splash of fish sauce at the end. Other than that it is perfect. Will definitely be making again."
9. Coconut and Green Curry Steamed Clams (spoonforkbacon.com). "A great sounding dish. Perfect for the winter nights up here in the Pacific Northwest!"
10. Grain-Free Coconut Cupcakes (healthyindulgences.net). "These moist little cake bites contain all of the decadence of a classic Southern coconut cake, with none of the highly refined ingredients that make the original only an occasional treat."
11. Peanut Butter Coconut Oatmeal Cookies (dailyunadventuresincooking.com). "Sure these peanut butter oatmeal cookies have whole wheat flour, high fiber oats, and less sugar than your average cookie, but they are still delicious and satisfying. They actually make an excellent breakfast when paired with a cup of coffee."
12. Healthy Coconut Banana Bread (ambitiouskitchen.com). "Healthy + coconut + banana = love."
13. Thai Coconut Shrimp Soup (myrecipes.com). "Freshly squeezed lime juice is the secret ingredient in this recipe. It balances and brightens the flavors and adds just the right amount of tartness to the soup."
14. Creamy Roasted Carrot Coconut Shakes – Vegan (familyfreshcooking.com). "Sure there is no cake in here, but the flavors of this homemade classic dessert are brought to life in a creamy, dreamy, health filled shake."
15. Blueberry-Coconut Baked Steel Cut Oatmeal (familyfreshcooking.com). "This breakfast is a creamy, dreamy combo of coconut + almond milks, hearty steel cut oats, and as many combinations of blueberries as I could fit in."
16. Sugar-Free Strawberry Coconut Butter (chefambershea.com). "This recipe is completely autoimmune- and thyroid-friendly!"
17. Coconut Whipped Cream (dietdessertndogs.com). "The cream is rich-tasting, light, and can stand in very effectively for dairy cream atop desserts."
18. Coconut Quinoa and Kale Salad With Tropical Cilantro-Cashew Pesto (tastespace.wordpress.com). "The zest of the pesto was lost as it was diluted in the salad but the main flavours were present."
You might also like:
Get more yummy, healthy recipes.