Whether or not you're actually vegan, no one can deny the power of whole, natural foods. These 20 snacks are a great alternative to pre-packaged bars and other preservative-laden foods. Without meat or dairy, you can still nourish your body and deliver the necessary nutrition to get through all of those grueling fitness classes... check out this list and you'll see what we mean!
When snacking vegan, you'll need to focus on the forrest collector's favorite foods. Here are some snacks that are a great power-up for before the gym or replenish afterwards; every one of these recipes is packed with vitamins and whole food goodness. For quick energy, vegan fare is an easy choice; whole fruits and honey provide instant sugar, and protein can be found in beans, nuts, and seeds.
1. Peppered Edamame with Sesame Rice Cracker Scoops (above, from kblog.lunchboxbunch.com). "Grab this snack when you need a super boost of protein, fiber - and crunch appeal."
2. Raw Vegan Goji-Cacao Balls (ilustr8.blogspot.com). These might seem like a decadent dessert, but they are packed with goodness.
3. Brown Rice Cakes with Banana, Almond Butter and Cinnamon (deliciouslyorganized.blogspot.com). Rice crackers, protein-packed PB and bananas make these a simple and pure source of instant nutrition.
4. Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars (livelovepasta.com). "These granola bars came together in just minutes, plus they taste good AND make you feel good."
5. Salt and Vinegar Chickpeas (ohsheglows.com). We've made no secret of our love for chickpeas; these legumes are a great place to find protein and are quite filling. The seasonings in this recipe make them extra delish.
6. Edamame with Citrus Salt (kitchentreaty.com). "It’s a pretty simple snack, as far as snacks go. Chilled, shelled edamame alongside a bright salt made perfect with the zest of lemons and oranges."
7. Honey Sriracha Roasted Pumpkin Seeds (soupaddict.com). "For the sriracha addicts among you, here’s another way to enjoy your favorite condiment: roasted with honey and select spices on crunchy, fresh pumpkin seeds until caramelized goodness develops."
8. Crispy Scallion Tofu and Rice Cakes Recipe (vietworldkitchen.com). "The tofu sucks up all the seasonings and gets coated with the green onion."
9. Edamame Mushroom Wontons with Dipping Sauce (vanilla-and-spice.com). Another way to get more edamame in your gullet: Puree it!
10. Tomato bruschetta (laylita.com). Nothing beats fresh bruschetta.
11. Rice Cakes Snack with Avocado, Arugula and Sriracha Sauce. Rice cakes aren't just for sweet snacks - they can make delicious savory treats as well!
12. Nori Snack Rolls with Sprouts and Spicy Avocado (stcatharinesstandard.ca). "Nutrient-rich seaweed is the perfect solution to curbing mid-afternoon hunger. Feel free to mix and match the filling, or swap the seaweed for whole grain toast."
13. Mochi Wrapped in Nori (tastespotting.com). Though it may require a trip to a specialty foods store (or just to Whole Foods) pounded rice makes for amazingly simple nosh. It usually comes in blocks that can be sliced into squares, and popped into the oven, the stuff melts into a gooey delicious treat. Wrap in nori and dip in soy sauce for a delicious gluten-free snack.
14. Balsamic Roasted Strawberries (houseofhumble.com) Balsamic vinegar can really bring out the delicious flavor in strawberries.
15. Hummus Bruschetta (cosmohippiechef.com). This play on bruschetta isn't really bruschetta - but it is yummy and healthy! These little bread slices hold hummus and mixed greens with a light vinaigrette.
16. Avocado Toast (eatdrinkpretty.com). "The beauty of these toasts is that you only need a knife or spoon and a toaster (plus bread and a ripe avocado, of course)."
17. Healthy Caramel Popcorn (chocolatecoveredkatie.com). "This is a healthy caramel popcorn recipe without corn syrup. It’s salty, sweet, and just plain good!"
18. Greek Salad Skewers with Tofu Feta (vegansparkles.com). "Thread it onto bamboo skewer sticks, drizzle it with Balsamic Vinegar and Olive Oil, and just see who the coolest one is at the next summer party!"
19. Dried Strawberries (theworldwidegourmet.com). Who knew that you could make your own dried strawberries at home? A long baking time at low temperature is the key to this gummy natural fruit snack.
20. Tahini Apricot Apple Sandwiches (glowkitchen.com). "Using apple slices, you can create a compact bite filled with your favorite nut or seed butter, dried fruit, and fresh mint."
Enjoy these vegan treats!
You may also enjoy: