We were first introduced to the idea of the "meatless meatball" in the lyrics from the musical RENT ("One pasta with meatless balls... It tastes the same if you close your eyes") - a description that didn't get us particularly psyched up about ordering and/or tasting the things. But then... on a recommendation, we tried the meatball sandwich at vegetarian NYC sandwich shop 'sNice... and it was ridiculous. We continued our galavants to The Meatball Shop, and their vegetarian option again blew us away. So, suddenly stricken with a fever for vegetarian balls, we did some research and came up with this list of delicious DIY recipes.
1. Nuts, Rice, and Chickpea Flour: Vegan Meatballs (Above, from vegnews.com). "You’ll be amazed at how much this savory grain-and-nut combination satisfies in a dish or on its own."
2. Eggplant Meatballs (midwestveg.com). "They’re not mushy, but they’re not exactly firm either. It has a nice light chewy texture."
3. Potato Base: Veggie "Meatballs" (diethood.com). "Delicious vegetarian 'meatballs' made with potatoes, carrots, onions and spices, served with a side of yogurt sauce."
4. Vegan Meatball Supreme (myvegancookbook.com). "These are chewier and spicier. I formulated these specifically to taste perfect in a meatball sub sandwich."
5. Gluten-Free and Vegan Meatball Mix (webekitchen.com). "These balls are similar to falafel in texture, and because they are bean and grain based, they will fall apart if submerged in sauce for too long. So it’s best to add them to your sauce briefly after it’s hot or pour the sauce over them."
6. Versatile Meatless Meatballs (veganvisitor.wordpress.com). "With a combination of finely chopped mushrooms, crumbs and flour to hold them together, they turned out pretty great."
7. Vegetarian Meatballs with Pesto Cream Sauce Recipe (sheknows.com). "These veggie balls prove to even the biggest meat-lovers that veggies can be delicious!"
You might also like:
Get more yummy, healthy recipes.