Dandelion greens... yup, you guessed it, the leaves attached to your favorite garden weed. They are actually a delicious (and now trendy) addition to salads, smoothies and any other dish in need of some green-superleaf lovin'. Both delicious and nutritious, dandelion greens are high in calcium, iron, and antioxidants. You can pick them up at farmers' markets or farm them yourself in the back yard (tip: They are most delicious when young, before the plant has flowered). Enjoy these delicious dandelion green recipes from around the web to get you inspired!
1. Dandelion and Grapefruit Salad (find recipe at myrecipes.com). "The honey and olive oil in the dressing tame the bitterness of the dandelion greens, so feel free to drizzle on more if you'd like it milder."
2. A Dandy, Dandelion Green Smoothie (find recipe at onegreenplanet.org). "I am fond of my smoothies being as natural as they can be, appreciating every taste correlating with the corresponding nutrients."
3. Chicken Salad with Roasted Beets (find recipe at myrecipes.com). "Dandelion greens can be quite bitter, but the olive oil, lemon, and salt in the dressing—and the sweet beets—mellow them so they give no more than a pleasant edge to the salad."
4. Dandelion Greens with Ramps, Bacon (find recipe at healthygreenkitchen.com). "There is nothing bashful about this salad. It features lots of assertive flavors."
5. Midday Cleansing Juice (find recipe at healthyblenderrecipes.com). You'll love this green juice.
6. Edible Flowers & Dandelion Greens (find recipe at thesimpleveganista.blogspot.com). "This salad comes as a perfect way to add some of your favorite spring blossoms into a meal for an even more enjoyable way to celebrate the flowers of spring."
7. Strawberry, Goat Cheese & Wild Violet Salad (find recipe at letthemeathealthy.blogspot.com). "This salad was so beautiful, it would be so perfect as a first course for a special dinner."
8. Dandelion Pasta & Garlic Mustard Pesto (find recipe at foragingfoodie.com). "This pasta is super healthy and super delicious."
9. Dandelion Salad with Cheese and Apples (find recipe at kgi.org). "here's a great way to bring last fall and this spring together in a single salad bowl."
10. Dandelion Pumpkin Seed Pesto (find recipe at thekitchn.com). "It's a well-balanced pesto perfect for a simple pasta, sandwich spread or veggie dip."
11. Potato and Dandelion Salad (find recipe at recipeinterrupted.com). "It’s a tangy and bright potato salad that makes a great dish to take on your first picnic of the season."
12. Dandelion, Strawberry, and Balsamic Onion Salad (find recipe at seriouseats.com). "Dandelion greens- the ultimate spring green."
13. Dandelion Greens and Wild Rice Salad (find recipe at theveganproject.ca). "This salad is very simple, yet robust in flavour and nutrients."
14. Dandelion Greens with Currants and Pine Nuts (find recipe at sunset.com). "The spices cut the bitterness."
15. Grilled Pear, Goat Cheese and Dandelion Greens Salad (find recipe at dailyunadventuresincooking.com). "Dandelion greens are a leafy green perfect for a salad. Slightly more bitter than arugula, they are delicious when paired with something sweet like grilled pear."
16. Sauteed Dandelion Greens (find recipe at warandyeast.wordpress.com). "Tasty salad with a sake-based “dressing”.
17. Dandelion Chips (find recipe at showfoodchef.com). "They melt in your mouth like dandelion air."
You might also like:
Get more yummy, healthy recipes.