Potato skins, though pretty healthy alone, are notoriously loaded with heaps of crap and passed around at football viewing parties as appetizers. Nothing wrong with a little potato skin action on Sunday afternoon, but let's make something clear: Mixing sour cream, cheddar shreds, and bacon bits and pouring it onto a spud..does not fulfill your daily vegetable requirement. So, we poked around and found these great recipes that maintain the joy and deliciousosity of the potato skin concept without taking 7 years off your life. Enjoy!
1. Chipotle Chicken Sweet Potato Skins (find recipe at halfbakedharvest.com). "Sweet Potato Skins. They were legendary. Sweet, spicy and cheesy. Kind of an unexpected hit of flavors, but they are amazingly awesome together!"
2. Chipotle BLT Sweet Potato Skins (find recipe at littlebittybakes.com). "Potato skins made healthy. Sweet potato skins are brushed with spicy chipotle mustard, then filled with low-fat cheese, turkey bacon, and sun-dried tomatoes. Topped with shredded lettuce and a chipotle mustard yogurt sauce, they’re a sweet and spicy twist on traditional potato skins."
3. Broccoli-Cheese Potato Skins with Avocado Cream (find recipe at ericasrecipes.com). "First they’re just pretty – little mini potato beauties with a rich green broccoli filling and silken avocado cream. Second, they are absolutely delicious! Avocado and broccoli – who’d have thought?!"
4. Sweet Potato Skins (find recipe at girlmakesfood.com). "Absolutely delicious! You come up with the best meals!"
5. Skinny Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins (find recipe at skinnytaste.com). "These potato skins are stuffed with shredded buffalo chicken breast made in the crock pot, then topped with melted cheese, blue cheese dressing, carrots and celery – they are seriously delicious!"
6. Twice Baked Pesto Potatoes (find recipe at seeyouinthemorning.com). Pesto is not exactly low-fat, but it contains all great stuff. This twice-baked pesto potato makes for a great all-natural garden meal.
7. Stuffed Zucchini Skins (find recipe at veggie-wedgie.com). HOW DID THESE SNEAKY ZUCCHINIS INFILTRATE OUR POTATO SKIN ARTICLE?
8. Garlic Rubbed Potato Skins with Lox and Chives (find recipe at simplyhealthyfam.blogspot.com). "Potatoes and are actually super good for you! The skins especially are full of vitamins!"
9. Stuffed Sweet Potato Skins a La Mexicana (find recipe at teganwestra.com). "This recipe is super simple and your taste buds will be doing a little happy dance after each and every bite!"
10. Potato Skins (find recipe at goodhousekeeping.com). "Kick off football season with our fully loaded skins."
11. Baked Potato Skins Veggie Pizzas (find recipe at preventionrd.com). "Potatoes…we’re on to something. BIG."
12. Paleo Sweet Potato Skins with Sage Pesto and Bacon (find recipe at littleleopardbook.com). "This recipe tastes like Thanksgiving in a bite combining the flavors of sweet potato and sage!"
You might also like:
Get more yummy, healthy recipes.