Waffles! When's the last time you had one? When you were a little kid... or this morning? The thing about waffles is that your average health nut doesn't usually reach for them (ordering waffles at a restaurant usually results in 3-day food coma; making waffles at home requires equipment). But, if you do have a waffle maker (and if you'll just trust us on this one) we've found a nice fat list of RYB-approved healthy waffle recipes. Some are vegan, some are paleo, some are neither (but still way healthier than your average Joe waffle). Pick one and get waffling!
1. Vegan Whole Grain Waffles With Roasted Stone Fruit (find recipe at minimalistbaker.com). "Simple whole grain vegan waffles made with almond meal and whole wheat flour, and naturally sweetened with sucanat and a touch of molasses. Hearty, wholesome and delicious, and just 1 bowl required."
2. Super Power Waffles (find recipe at veganyumminess.com). "If you’re searching for a vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, soy-free, sugar-free, everything-free, miracle-working, super-hearty, easy, … waffle recipe, then search no further."
3. Maple Vanilla Spelt Waffles (find recipe at theprettybee.com). Eggs are off the list...
4. Banana Egg Waffles (find recipe at theperfectpearpair.blogspot.ca). "Super high on protein and potassium, plus they don't have any sugar!"
5. Almond & Yogurt Waffles with Orange Honey Syrup (find recipe at roostblog.com). "These Saturday waffles will grace our table every weekend and perhaps on those lazy week nights when those "breakfast for dinner" cravings set in."
6. Banana Quinoa Waffles (find recipe at queenofquinoa.me). "With smashed bananas and toasted quinoa flour, these waffles are still light and fluffy, but have a subtle sweetness and hint of nutty flavor, that makes them truly unique."
7. Basic Buckwheat Waffles (find recipe at edibleperspective.com).
8. Whole Grain Flax Seed Waffles (find recipe at keyingredient.com). Uses zucchini!
9. Vegan Chia Waffles (find recipe at bakeaholicmama.ziplist.com). "This is a very basic vegan recipe that tastes fantastic -- a slight sweetness to it, crisp and tasty."
10. Vegan Gluten Free Oatmeal Waffles (find recipe at minimalistbaker.com). "A crispy on the outside, tender on the inside vegan + gluten free waffle that’s lightly sweet and incredibly satisfying. Healthy enough for a weekday breakfast and special enough for a weekend brunch."
11. Mickey Mouse Protein Waffles (find recipe at immaeatthat.com). "Because many times, comfort is found in the simple things. For instance, a mickey mouse waffle maker."
12. Maple Peanut Banana Bread Waffles (find recipe at kblog.lunchboxbunch.com). "Craving banana bread and waffles. Hmm, decisions, decisions. So when life hands you two cravings: combine them!"
You might also like:
Get more yummy, healthy recipes.